About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Our Winnebago Sightseer as a traveling painting studio

Quick sketches of Red Cliffs in mole skin pocket book The difficulty we had on our first long trip was balancing Don's fishing with my painting. One of our stops when we first arrived appeared like a total empty place for my painting. It was a high bluff above Cebolia Lake in Arizona. The landscape stretched out to the horizon with tiny mountains in the distance. At sunset we heard the wild burroes and coyotes. When I went for a walk alone I was frightened out of my mind when I found myself in a swarm of killer bees who paid me no attention thankfully.
Here I discovered that I can find interesting and rewarding subjects anywhere. Underfoot I found a nature made mosaic of rocks of all descriptions. The camp site looked like
it had never been used by another human except for a circle of dust with some found rocks deliberately placed unlike nature could do alone. An artist had stayed here before and left the place without leaving more than his feelings expressed with the selection of rocks and how they interacted with sun and weather. Like that artist I tried to leave the camp as I had found it with an additional arrangement of rocks. As for my painting experience there, it went very well and is posted earlier.


What I like about our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer Motor Coach is that I had enough art supplies to last two months and my husband had an eight foot inflatable pontoon boat an all his fishing gear and we still had considerable empty storage space.

2 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

Interesting view into your painting and fishing trip. I like the photos and especially of the paintings you made and the scene that inspired them.

The bees in Arizona are almost all the so-called killer bees (and they are spreading throughout the country). More than once I have also had a swarm come up unexpectedly. The only real danger is if a person accidentally killed one (or someone nearby had done so). Ignoring them, as you did, and moving on, to get out of their way, almost always leads to no problem. In a house, it's hard to remove them yourself and it's why people call in professionals.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thanks Rain for the information on the dreaded bees. There is more to the story. Just previous to my walk I had been painting when a single bee visited my painting and sipped some of the wet paint before flying off. Then when the swarm came circling around me on my walk the memory of the solitary bee made me fear at first that the bees were angry at me. Then I realized that they were swarming and not going to sting me unless I provoked them again.