About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Drawings Versus Sketches, and Cartoons,

My drawing efforts are tacked up on a board where I can look at them every day.
" draw-ing n. 2: the art or technique of representing an object or outlining a figure, plan, or sketch by means of lines" 3: Something drawn... b) a representation formed by a drawing

"sketch n. 1: a) a rough drawing representing the chief features of an object or scene and often made as a preliminary study"

"cartoon n. 1: a preparatory design, drawing or painting ( as for a fresco) 2: a) a satirical drawing commenting on public or usu. political matters b) comic strip


All three, drawings, sketches and cartoons require the act of drawing to produce them. As an artist in the process of making art, I hope when I am drawing that I accomplish my aim of making something I can be proud to say is a drawing. When I fall short of my intentions I call it not a failure but a sketch in preparation for a drawing I can call art.


This month I am drawing every day. At the beginning of the month I said I would do a drawing a-day but that goal may be highly optimistic.

1 comment:

joared said...

Thanks for defining the differences associated with drawings and sketches. Sounds like the drawing a day is the artist's equivalent goal of writing every day -- likely good routine to develop.