About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Friday, December 07, 2012

Red Nose, watercolor collage series

Last year I went through hundreds of watercolors sorting them into keepers. The keepers were sorted onto labeled shelves - ocean, water, people, animals, gardens, flowers, and abstarcts. The unselected went on a shelf waiting for collages. Then when I heard that at the Oregon State LaSelles Stewart Center Guistina Gallery is having an open African exhibit i remembered the collages of Matisse and Picasso influenced by visits to Northern Africa. When I started arranging torn and cut pieces of my watercolor painted paper, I saw clowns. Looking in Wikipedia, I learned the earliest known clowns found were in Egypt thousands of years ago.

No comments: