About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Frederick Heidel's method based on a color hue observation

Frederick Heidel was one of my art instructors at Portland State University in the the early 60's. His observation on color was that colors of about the same range of darkness placed together on a painting relate to one another in lively interactions.  Form and depth can be created without dark to light drawing.


I  am exploring his process of making somewhat of a grid, playing with color not as a chart but in a non-academic way, allowing a feeling to lead my way.  Soon these non-objective paintings take on shapes that suggest something familiar to people.  Such is the case in this full sheet watercolor, "Playful, Cad Red to Viridian.

2 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

I've always had a very hard time painting abstracts because i always end up seeing something in them.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I didn't care if this painting soon lost the non-objective abstract quality. So the an eye in the dog-like image helps to make others see the same as I did. If I wanted a totally non-objective painting I would simplify to basics like the grid or stripes. But I rather go with the flow and let the shapes stimulate my imagination or my viewer's imagination. Because of my interest in how the colors worked, the colors will be labeled.
Rain, I remember a successful red and blue abstract of yours in that it kept it's non-objectivity.