About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Is this toll or oil painting?


A lady walking her dog approached me and asked if I had seen the squirrel. Are you painting the squirrel? Can I see? I said I had not noticed the squirrel. Then she was disappointed and asked, "Is this toll or oil painting?" A very good question!! Much more deep than the lady thought!!! She only wanted to express some hostility in the pretense of being ignorant.
My answer is that some painting is more craft than art. To some extent I want to make a pleasing painting of my impressions of the landscape. In doing so I have used the brush in learned toll painting fashion as opposed to being honest about the moment. I also found that I still want to make changes after returning home today. Only I think these changes are superficial. Most of the them were not about living in the moment and my first impression.
The superficial brushing is of the distant trees on the upper right. I put them in because there was some perpendicular linear raised texture from the underneith painting covered with gesso. The painting that I did today is of the field in back of our place and it is done on a 10" x 8" canvas stretched over plywood. I am eager to try again tomorrow with honesty. I am encoraged to learn that my secondary fixes are apt to be superficial. I may be able to make paintings of the moment and leave tham as finished.

No comments: