About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Spider Gliders over the Siletz River


They are tiny, almost transparent gliding with the breeze on their silk strand. I have always been amazed by spider weavers but I see a new treat. So new to me I am amazed and enchanted to see the sun lighting the critters' silks as they move from the high tree boughs with so many strands helter skelter moving in front of the sun and then gliding this way and that until they come down, down still bright with light passing the shadowy fir forest to meet the river and then the air picks them up again. They glide past small flies and birds and past fishermen too. Sometimes a spider silk catches me. Oh well, if only my interpretation of their beauty in paint would succeed. I didn't capture the spiders flight on film although I tried.

3 comments:

Heidi Malott said...

Sounds magical Diane. Look forward to paintings. Glad to read that you are out in your RV!!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Heidi,
The river as seen from our boat is magical to me.

Joyce said...

When I first came upon this entry, I had just listened to a biologist explain these silver threads that appear in nature. Spiders are wondrous creatures.