About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Saturday, March 08, 2014

Hawaii color pallet abstract #1

Before our February 4 - 18 th trip to Kailua-Kona, I purchased some colors I anticipated using to paint the surf and lava rocks. This abstracted memory painting has Prussian blue, Naples yellow, viridian, Windsor red and cobalt turquoise. When  I was on location my paintings were realistic and about mood and light. Now at home, I am released from the closely observed representational details. the experience of painting on location is still with me and influencing me.
 In Hawaii I learned to flood the paper with pools of wet color.  It didn't take long to dry even in the humidity. When I did the same at home the color was heavy so I used the shower sprayer on the paper and the edges of the green and Naples yellow lifted leaving the white.  Happy accident!

No comments: