About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Sky Light Paintings

In 2008 I finally removed these paintings from our sky light and I cut them up to sell in the conventional manner. They are matted and covered with a transparent envelope and sold in my my bin at exhibits. Some I may later post on the blog. I am looking at making another wrap around mural because it was so much a joy for so long. The acrylic colors and interference paint held up well in the intense light.

My home is my studio and my grouping of paintings is a work in progress. These paintings are intended as sketches for what I might make for my skylight. Might make? My original intention was to do studies for wrapped canvases but I like the paper and the look of not being finished. Unfinished is in keeping with my idea of painting infinity which keeps on going and is never complete. I question whether permance and archival is relevant for me as an artist living an art process. As I got up on a ladder hanging this work I decided it is an installation.
These paintings using interference and metalic acrylics and watercolor crayons on Canson watercolor paper are thumb tacked to the walls of my livingroom sky light. The painting is inspired by the Island in the Sky and my artist friend Diane Hoff-Rome who paints with pastel and interference acrylics. The hanging of these paintings in a sky light is influenced by Matisse's studio in Nice, France. Also I am influenced by Doris Duke's estate on Diamond Head in Hawaii. Doris like Matisse made her home a work of art in process. Like Matisse I tape a crayon to a long stick and I continue to make changes on my installation.

4 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

If you have not already seen it, you should rent the dvd-- "Off the Map" It relates to your painting concept.

Rain Trueax said...

or better yet, come on over and see my copy of it :)

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thank you Rain for a memorable evening with you. "Off the Map" had an artist who lived in the Boston, Mass. before coming to New Mexico. So he had some prior art education. There was symbolism in the line he made along the horizon. The water meant yesterday and the sky was tomorrow and the line was today. Today was very uncertain. I think? Maybe I have symbolism in my sky light painting too?

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

My symbol means constant shifting. In other words no where can you sink into a vanishing point. I do not have a single horizon line. I have begun to paint the foreground as though I were looking up. Then the eye looks across the middle ground. In the endless distance the eye will look down upon the canyons ever twisting into hill upon hill and then mountains. No where in the room can the whole wrap around picture be seen at once.
It is hard for my husband to get used to having a painting above his head. He thinks he wants more detail. A friend thought the painting should extend all the way up to the window glass.