About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

"Painting in Tibet" and "The Jaffa Train to Jerusalem"

Both acrylic paintings are for sale for $500 each. "The Tibetan Monk Painter" is 24" x 20" and "The Jerusalem Train" is 28" x 22".



















After my trip to China Tibet in 2002 I painted my memory of an artist I met and his monastery studio. I loved his set up of paint pots and yak butter tea. He sipped tea while he drank Sprite soft drinks. I would like to paint in his place perched in a window looking out on barren, rugged rocky mountains. What calm he must feel working on his meticulous religious thangkas painting. He has more than anyone else in Tibet. He has the best of two worlds - modern consumerism and the painter's spiritual path. Without tourists there would be no incentive to keep the appearance of tradition.
In 1994 I retraced my grandfather's steps and rode the Jerusalem train. Then in TelAviv I found what information and picures I could on the train station in Jaffa in 1892. Using some imagination I painted my great grandmother and grandfather boarding the train. Later family confirmed my hunch that they did go to Jerusalem on the train.

3 comments:

Rain Trueax said...

That is an interesting painting and reminds me of some you did on your trip to Tibet. Was that two years ago now? Anyway the colors, the feeling seem very similar.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

I have not noticed that the Tibet and Israeli paintings are similar in color. The color similarities have to do with my tracing my grandfather's and great uncle's steps. The colors in "Jerusalem Train" are like the same vintage Salmonberry train in Rockaway, Oregon where I started the painting. I did not see the example at the Maitime Museum in Hifa as I had planned.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

This one is for sale and some have enquired about it already.