About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sketches are more in the moment

Here is a painting previously posted with the sketches that I did the same day. The sketches were warm ups for the painting and I was close enough to the moment that I feel the painting is expressive of being in the moment.
But days later I did not sustain the excitement of the moment as I started to work from my sketch of the table. When I tried to paint the one below I was just going through the motions. I like the sketch though. I didn't think it was going to ever be the finished painting. It is done with watercolors and watercolor crayon. I rather like it and want to make the flowers like entering another world. This is Lynn Power's picnic table, the one her father built. He just passed away and days before I painted in Lynn's garden her family had come to her home for his memorial service. So I thought the table embodied good memories and I wanted to express that.
Yesterday I started an oil painting from the sketch but it seems like I was just going through the motions without the emotion I had when I did the sketch. So I have elaborated a little on the sketch and calling it a finished work and no longer a sketch.

No comments: