About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Working Towards A Story

This morning I painted dragon shapes into my tiles and rearranged some on the wall. Then in the afternoon I listened to a Larry Fong lecture on Carl Morris at the Jordan Schnitzer Museum, University of Oregon. Carl Morris' "History of Religions" series painted for the Oregon Centennial, 1969. I was particularly interested because he painted ideas of religions in Oregon since settlement in a series of nine in a chronological order. Also Dr. Charles Lackman asked why did Carl Morris have frames on his early work but not on the "History of Religion" I suggested that it was because other Portland artists of the same period were doing public works without frames such as Louie Bunce who did a mural in the Portland Airport. Also that a frame is like a window and the abstracts expand outward and don't want to be held in.
I wonder if my paintings can have a profound story in which it is important to show the limitless expanse of the universe. Or if I can embark on a less serious more fun filled exploration in which the expanding concept without a framed view is equally appropriate.

No comments: