About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Friday, July 06, 2007

Writing artist statement.

At age 64 I just realized I am wrestling with being multi-cultural. I am second generation the child of a third generation China and Far Eastern born father. As a child I noticed the fearsome dragon on the silk bath robe borrowed from father and our hand mirror was Chinese export silver adorned with a finely detailed dragon. My childhood peers and Western legends taught me that dragons were evil. But I was imprinted by the joyful Chinese dragons on a family heirloom vase.


Pegasus gallery has requested a fresh artist statement. So after three tries three days, I have come up with:


Embracing Dragons


I started painting an abstract. Friends saw dragons in it but I never defined them with drawing until recently when I was doing a group of abstracts using the Peace Rose for inspiration. Now I feel free to use the dragon image after a recent discovery:
Our family heirloom vase impressed me so much as a child that it taught me the way I see and express nature. All my paintings express my child within.
Thank you to all of you who have visited my web page and left encouraging comments. I appreciate them very much.
I will be taking a vacation with grandchildren this week and will be back to blogging on July 16.

3 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

Have fun with the kiddies, Diane!

Todd Camplin said...

Maybe you could write about the historical connection of painting dragons. Earily China artists used them in narratives. Dragons have been describes as another kind of animal spirits. Dragons are bad in many western cultures, but they tend to be good in eastern cultures. In China, the river spirits are often portrayed as dragons.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Yes, I am having fun playing chess with my 11 year old grandson. And I will take up your suggestion, Camplin. I will write up on the history of the dragon in the West and in China.