About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Friday, April 25, 2008

Letting Go Abstraction from Seal Rock Tide Pool


"Abstraction of Sea Anemone Tide Pool " is acrylic on museum wrapped canvas 3 feet by 2 feet by 1 1/2 inches deep. For sale $400
I worked myself up emotionally to paint from a minimal pencil sketch done on location. I tried to go back and photograph this area but the tide was coming in on a very stormy 40 mile an hour rain storm. The coral color is my own emotional poetic license. This painting is a break through for me because I need to work quickly like this to express the emotions and feelings of being at Seal Rock.
In comparison to the photographs, painting is a much more immediate and direct form of creating communicative pictures. Comparing them for value is not possible because it is like comparing apples and oranges - a subjective judgement.

5 comments:

Katiejane said...

This is BEAUTIFUL!! Love it, love it, love it!

Anonymous said...

The coral colour is lovely - and those mauves sit so well against it. I agree that comparing the two just would not work - for me painting and photography serve 2 different purposes.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thanks Katie for your encouraging enthusiasm. Cath, I can't say which is better photograph pictures or paintings. They fill different needs for me too.

Martha Marshall said...

I love this too, Cath. It's the speed that gives you that great feeling and movement.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Martha,
I am happy with the speed on this one. I like it alone but a whole room of these can make me feel sea sick.