About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Monday, April 28, 2008

Sketches On South Santiam to Studio Experiment












"Healthy Trees, South Santiam" is acrylic on cradled board 7"x 5" x 1/2". Including the cradled board box and sketches for sale for $90 plus shipping cost. Sometimes it is stretching to try a new approach. Usually I begin a painting on the river trying for the most direct emotional response. On this one I planned in detail how I would paint it in the studio. At home I first mixed the colors ahead of time and then painted using memory in my muscles. I covered my eyes with a scarf so I saw minimal placement but not color. When I peeked at it I should have stopped. I reverted to my old way of tailoring the colors and shapes in a journey without a map.




4 comments:

Katiejane said...

Interesting way of working. I'm amazed that you can make a painting out of a few squiggly lines on paper. I think I try to hard.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Kate,
I am smiling. I try so very, very hard to make my work look like it happened naturally because what is simply natural jumps with life.

Katiejane said...

So very true, and sometimes we should just "go with the flow" and not be so constrictive.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Katie,
Yes, going with the flow is best. It is like momentarily turning off the critical buttons.