About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Lens Eye Views



I like the camera as a tool for interpretation of the landscape. I like to paint what the camera can not reveal. I find my feelings flow also with small oil paintings. While I am painting though sometimes I get to looking mostly at my picture trying to fix a moments impression and then more views want to enter than the picture can hold. So then it is nice to get the camera out.

2 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

What beautiful views everywhere you look! The camera does come in handy in such situations.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The camera is a wonderful tool but beware. Although photographs make good reference material to stimulate my memory, although photographs can quickly record an instant in time, working from a photograph leads to give away evidence that the painting was done from a photograqph. The camera imposes a machanical interpretation of nature. Photographs tend to make greater contrasts between light and dark than what I see. They also generalize color zones favoring either warm or cool colors. Photographs blurr movement in a way we accept but it is not the way I see movement and like to express it. I like to work best directly from nature. Recently I saw how photographic images can be transfered to large mural size canvas. Then the artists can add painting like texture or add collage in any number of techniques. These paintings may have great impact, they may be great for expressing depression type feelings. They are probably impressive in skill but are missing the heart I seek in my own paintings.