About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Day Dream Painting: "Granny's Painting"


Acrylic on stretched canvas, 18" x 18", $180. To purchase please e-mail me. Will be available for delivery May 31st after the "Four Women Seven Years Later" exhibition.

"Granny's Painting" is about me painting in rain snow or what ever will come. In the process of painting on this square, I had an "Ah, ha," realization. Seven years ago when I was working on the first Benton County Museum, "Seasons of Life" exhibiation I painted to inspire my mother. I painted on square canvases portraits of her bravery and of her painting. And then she did pick up the brush painting collaboratively which added to the quality of her life through the decline of dementia. Now I am the matriarch of the family and I am making dream paintings for myself on square canvases. The square to me symbolizes a patch on the quilt of life.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This little story brings my own memories bubbling up. About six weeks before my mother's death, she got out of bed and decided we were going to paint some pictures together. We used acrylics and she completed two paintings and started a third before she was no longer able to continue.

There is such a beautiful connection with art and our mothers!

There's a lot of interesting things going on in your sky!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

The more I learn of your family, Joyce, the more similarities I recognize. The sky was combed with a small pocket comb. Also, have been intending to answer your question about cradled boards. Please look at www.cheapjoes.com under gesso boards. They sell Ampersand boards suitable for acrylic and all oils. As for having a waterbase oil painting stick to another painting even after a years worth of drying is not unexpected given that the oils under the surface of the paint do not dry entirely. If they do become dry it is because they are short of oil and then they crack and flake off. It is best to store paintings not in contact with other surfaces. In other words the painting should have air to breath.

Anonymous said...

These portraits are wonderful. And your stories too. When my mother was in the nursing home on the final journey of her life, she once decided she was going to teach an art class. It was all in her head, really, but my sister brought an easel, paints, and brushes and set her up in the community room to do a demo. My mother had the biggest smile you ever saw.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information re gesso boards, etc. I really am ignorant when it comes to products as I have been concentrating on my creative work.

Yes, you are right about the storing of my works on masonite. I can store oil on canvas close together because they do breathe. Some more gaps in my knowledge!

I love the stories about mothers and their daughters who share art. It was always a connection we could enjoy together when we didn't agree on a lot of other things.

There's something special about creating until the very end of our lives.

Martha, your mother had such a good time in her last painting class. How wonderful that your sister recognized your mother's needs even at the very end of her life!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I don't see any way to email you. Is this painting, "Granny's Painting", still available for sale?

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Anonymous,
Yes, the Granny painting is for sale.
Please do e-mail me at
dondianewenzel@msn.com

Welcome, Diane