About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Poetic Painting: "Second Day: Wind Dance"


Acrylic on cradled masonite board, 8" x 6" x 7/8", no frame required, $95. To purchase please e-mail me.

"Second Day: Wind Dance" is an over paint of yesterday's painting. I painted over some of the intriguing lines I made with the rubber tipped shapper which is a dental tool to stimulate the gums. The quality of the lines distracted from the way the trees evolved. Although the lines were beautiful I care more about the posture of the trees and want to highlight them. I'll be able to repeat intriguing lines when they are the subject of the painting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a second question: what is cradled masonite board? I used to use masonite but I found that it retained the moisture of water-based oils so I now use plain board.

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Joyce,
Thanks for your comments.
Cradled masonite board means the board is supported by a frame on the back side. The frame is flush with the edge of the board so it is not visible from the front. On most of my masonite boxes the wood makes the box-like picture protrude from the wall 7/8th inches. The cradled board can be simply hung on the wall over a nail without any hardware.
In regards to having the board retain moisture, I have not noticed that problem. But I will check my waterbased oils. How could you tell yours were retaining water?

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Joyce,
I also valued your other comment but accidently hit the wrong button on the moderation.
It is a pleasure to find new ways of seeing by experimenting in techniques.
At first I thought the gum stimulator would inhance the visible movements in the painting process. But it may also interupt the painting waiting for the paint on the under layer to dry. In addition I found I am limited by having to keep the paint on top thin.