About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Granny Day Dream Series



Today I hung the series of granny paintings to see what they will look like in the museum. I could paint the text on canvases but the writing would subtract from the totality. Perhaps a book will be placed by the paintings. Or I could start the story with a canvas block of text and end the story with another while leaving the middle pictures to tell the story on their own.

As usual on the day after completing of a series, I have doubts. I feel the story I wrote is too young for all but one of my grandchildren. I could easily reduce the wording to just the first and last page like in the museum presentation. Then I would add a letter about my process.
I showed a group of artists two of the painings that needed more development. The one of company sitting around the dinner table and the other one was the family tree. They felt that I might be surprised because my family will want the books I make because they are mine and it doesn't matter what age level I have written to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your arrangement of the family paintings is so appealing.

Are you going to reproduce them into a book? You could have a copy of each painting on one page and the story on the facing page and everyone could have his/her own copy!

These paintings will look scrumptious on the museum wall!

Diane Widler Wenzel said...

Thanks Joyce,
Yes, I am going to make a book today from reproducting these paintings. Only I have decided The title will be "Old Age Is not For Sissies" The text will be in the paintings. The first one, the cover, is of me painting. Written on the canvas in my lap will be these words: Blank canvas asks, "Old Granny what are you going to do?" Answer:"I will paint my future." The next four illustrations will be without text but have titles like Friendship, Love, Nurture, Memories. The letter and CD painting will have these words written on the letter. Dear Children, I am painting what makes me happy. The last page will be of me with my heart shaped palette. It says Granny paints her dreams come true. Now the book is about my process and sticks to it.
Joyce thanks for visiting my blog and your encouragement.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea, Diane. Your children and grandchildren will have something special of yours always.