About Me

My photo
Documenting a period in my development that could become pivotal

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Expressionist Landscape: "Fir Trees, Wet and Shining"


Acrylic on cradled masonite board, 7" x5" x 7/8", no frame required, $95. To purchase please e-mail me.

The "Fir Trees, Wet and Shining," has ultramarine blue mixed with matte medium to make a transparent blue in the sky. The use of matte medium takes away some of the pleasures of painting all at once because it is hard to know what the value of darkness will be in the colors mixed with medium - the medium looks milky until it dries. I continue to enjoy the painting on a lavendar ground because the retreating character of lavendar is suitable for this time of year when the bright hues are there but hardly noticeable. This was the second day I used the dental, rubber tipped stimulator but it was not as useful as a small pointed brush to make little points of light. I like the shapper when the paint is thicker.

No comments: